Ready to start your career, but not sure of your next steps?
There are a number of training options depending upon the career path you choose. Area colleges offer a number of courses that will end with you earning a certificate, license, associates degree, or bachelor’s degree. You may even be able to learn while on the job!
Each year, Workforce Solutions develops a list of “targeted occupations. ”These are jobs that are in demand in the region and pay a wage of at least $10 per hour. To get hired for some of these jobs, you may be required to complete certain training – but many do not require a traditional four year degree.
Did You Know?
- An electrician, which requires long-term on-the-job training or apprenticeship, earns a median wage of $17 / hour.
- A pharmacy technician, after moderate-term on-the-job training, earns a median wage of $13 / hour.
- A dental hygienist, which requires an associate’s degree, earns a median wage of $32 / hour.
- A shipping clerk, after short-term on-the-job training, earns a median wage of $13 / hour.
- An industrial mechanic, after long-term on-the-job training, earns a median wage of $21 / hour.
These are just a few examples of the various jobs available and the training needed. Review the list of targeted occupations to learn more.